Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reduce Exposure to Cell Phone Radiation with Brain Beads Ferrite Bead

I've been seeing more and more articles and blog posts about the effects of cell phone radiation and the controversy over the effects of extended and long term exposure. I would say there are basically two camps in this argument, the cell phone industry which is pretty sure that because cell phone radiation is 'non-ionizing' that there isn't a problem, and the independent scientific community that is producing more and more research which seems to indicate that at the very least we don't know whether it's safe or not, while others say that it is not safe and precautions should be taken.

I have always assumed that holding a radio that operates in the microwave frequency range next to my brain couldn't be great, so I've always tried to use the speakerphone or a wired hands free headset, but it turns out that the wire can actually act like an antennae and can transfer radiation up to the face, ears and brain. Well, I found a solution and it isn't Bluetooth (which is still a radio sitting next to my brain).

The latest recommendations from Elizabeth Cohen, CNN Medical Correspondent, are for wired headset users to attach a small ferrite bead to the cell phone headset wire which effectively "kills" the radiation:

A ferrite bead is a clip you put on the wire of a headset. The concern is that the wire itself emits radiation into your ear. The bead is designed to absorb the radiation so you don't.

Another fan: Lawrie Challis, physicist and former chair of the Mobile
Telecommunications and Health Research Programme, a government panel in Britain.

They did tests at the University of York and found that under even the worst conditions, if you use a ferrite bead you can't even measure the radiation coming off the wire.

This common device kills the radiation.

(full article here: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/07/31/ep.cell.phones.cancer/?iref=hpmostpop)
I ran with her recommendation and started looking around on the web for a ferrite bead (which is a usually a small piece of ferrite cut in half, set inside a small locking plastic case that snaps over the headset wire) and everything I found was large and looked like a piece of industrial hardware - which I didn't want to have dangling from my hands free headset.

After a long search I finally found one that I want to share: Brain Beads at http://www.brainbeads.com/. It's small, it's light gray so it matches my current headset, and it's pretty inexpensive for the benefit it offers.

Here is a photo of it attached to a hands free kit, right below where the left and right ear pieces split from the main wire.

They go for $12 which includes tax and shipping within the continental US.

No comments: